The first phase of the Dukan Diet Method, the Attack phase, is probably the most difficult, but the results will be enough to motivate anyone to stick with the diet plan. People usually rapidly lose weight during the Attack phase of the diet which lasts between 5-10 for most people depending on their starting weight.
During the attack phase of the Dukan diet you are only allowed to eat protein along with some spices, sweeteners, and a small amount of oat bran. Eating this way helps your body overcome any addiction it has to sugar or carbohydrates and began to clean out. Most people lose a lot of weight during this phase and lose weight more rapidly than in any other phase. Given you are switching the way you eat ad eliminating many foods, some people experience fatigue during this phase along it tends to pass after three days.
In addition to the high protein diet, during the Attack phase you should make sure to drink plenty of water and also try to get 20 minutes of low impact exercise daily. This helps your body to process the large amount of protein and helps to avoid constipation.
What Can I Eat During the Attack Phase of the Dukan Diet?
One of the benefits of using this diet plan is that you can eat as much as you want on the diet. During this phase, that means eating as much as you want of the Dukan foods listed below. Food eaten in this phase should be limited to under 5% fat content as much as possible.
- Lean cuts of beef, rabbit, or veal
- Skinless chicken and turkey
- Low fat ham
- Fish of any kind as long as it isn’t canned in oil
- Any Shellfish including shrimp, lobster, clams, and scallops
- Up to 2 whole eggs per day
- Egg whites
- Any dairy products that are lowfat (under 2% milk fat)
- Spices, mustard, artificial 0 calorie sweeteners, lemon and lime juice, fresh and dried herbs, vinegar, garlic, limited onion
- Sugar free chewing gum
- 0 calorie teas including green tea, black tea, and herbal tea
Are There Any Rules I Need to Follow During the Attack Phase?
,p>Other than sticking to the diet plan there are not many rules during the Attack Phase of the diet, or during the Dukan diet in general. Where as many diets dictate when you eat, how much you eat, and what your meals need to be – under the Dr. Dukan diet as long as you eat from the list of approved foods, you will lose weight. In addition, you should make sure to:
- Drink enough water daily, ideally over 1.5 liters daily
- Eat 1.5 tablespoons of oat bran daily to help keep your system moving.
- Move for twenty minutes daily. Most people choose to just take a 20 minute walk to meet this requirement.
It is also recommended that anyone who stops losing weight after five days, moves on to the Cruise phase. This is true even if you planned to do the Attack phase for a longer time period.
What Would an Attack Phase Meal Plan Look Like?
There is an endless combination of foods that you could eat during the Attack Phase but here are some examples of Dukan meal plans you could try.
Breakfast Ideas During the Attack Phase
- Low fat cottage cheese
- Low fat plain yogurt
- Egg white omelet with low fat ham and cheese
- Low fat ham or turkey slices spread with low fat cream cheese
- Scrambled eggs with low fat cream cheese and ham
- Steak and eggs
- Hard boiled eggs
- Chicken and basil omelet
- Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon
Lunch and Dinner Ideas on the Dukan Diet
- Steamed Cajun Shrimp
- Cooked Italian spiced chicken breast
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin
- Asian Spiced Beef
- Grilled Southwestern Turkey Breasts