Just because you are following the Dukan Diet doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy a fancy meal for a special occasion. These Italian Flank Steak pinwheels are the perfect choice combining lean flank steak, veggies, and cheese for a delicious meal. They can be cooked on a grill or in a pan.
Dukan Italian Flank Steak Pinwheels
Dukan Phases: Cruise Phase, Consolidation Phase, Stabilization Phase
Servings: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
Nutritional Info: 248.3 calories, 11.7g of fat, 5.4g carbohydrates, 1.3g dietary fiber, 29.9g of protein
- 1 lb. flank steak, trimmed of fat
- Salt and pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1.5 cups spinach, packed, chopped
- .5 cups basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, packed in water, chopped
- 3/4 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Pound the flank steak out until it is ¼ thick or butterfly it. *You can also ask the butcher to do this for you)
- Season both sides of steak well with salt and pepper,
- Rub one side of the steak with garlic clove.
- Layer the spinach, basil, and sundried tomatoes evenly across the steak, leaving 1 inch around edges. Top with cheese.
- Start at one edge and roll up tightly.
- Secure using toothpicks or a kabob skewers. (If you use toothpicks soak them in water for 20 minutes prior to make sure they don’t catch on fire.)
- Brush the outside of the steak with oil.
- Option 1: Cut the steak into 8 portions and grill or pan sear each for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Option 2: Grill the entire rolled steak whole. It will take about 15-20 minutes for medium rare and you will need to flip it throughout to prevent burning. Let rest, tented in foil, for ten minutes before slicing and serving.